whatsapp alternative

Other games and things

Re: whatsapp alternative

Postby Bacardi_Bat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:37 am

hi funk,
but as I remember, in my childhood, my grandfather had carrier pigeons and lots of good guano for the garden, speaks for these animals....
Yes NSA and other spys are everywhere, but i thing anyone knows that already, and take care for themselves. It's not a secret, look Point 4.3 at the pic. Which includes certainly a backdoor :twisted:
When i look in my router logs i wonder how many "foreign telecom companys" (check ip's) wants to reach me, but no access (i hope).
Attachments
von nsa.png
von nsa.png (52.72 KiB) Viewed 741 times
typing errors are special effects of my keyboard
Bacardi_Bat

Postby singing_fish » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:22 pm

von der NSA entwickelt

Oh, thank you so much :x
singing_fish
Site Admin

Postby DrFunkenstein » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Here's a link to an article on a Dutch web site about Whatsapp and breaches of privacy.

It's in Dutch and I doubt there are a lot of people here who can read it, so I'll try to summarize it. Whatsapp can only be used if you give it access to your phone number directory on your smart phone. This may seem logical, but here's the part that doesn't make sense and is a breach of privacy according to a Dutch government agency. If someone I know uses Whatsapp, my phone number ends up on their servers since they download every single phone number that's in the directory even though I don't use Whatsapp at all or have a smart phone.

This seems to be the norm these days, companies try to collect as much data as they can and only stop doing that if there's a protest or a lawsuit or something like that.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's important that someone like Snowden leaked all those details about the way secret services operate etc. and it's a great thing that the general public is aware of that, but that's what secret services do and you can expect that kind of behaviour from them. The way privately owned companies mine data is just as worrisome to me.

Dr. Funkenstein
How easy it must be not to think of nipple clamps!
DrFunkenstein

Postby DrFunkenstein » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 pm

I forgot to mention something in my previous post that is very relevant as well.

The Dutch government would like to take them to court for this breach of privacy but that's basically pointless, since Whatsapp does not have an office over here or anywhere else in Europe. They can only ask them to show up for the trial but there's no way the government can force them. My guess is they won't show up if it ever comes to that unless they think it's the "smarter" thing to do from a publicity point of view.

But there's a more then reasonable chance they already have my phone number and they'll probably going to continue using that information to make money in some way, no matter how high the fine will be.

Dr. Funkenstein
DrFunkenstein

Postby Bacardi_Bat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:47 pm

some rights of android Apps could be disabled with -> srt app guard
Bacardi_Bat

Postby singing_fish » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:32 pm

This thread goes further than exspected.
We should make a forum for "Internet, politics and other lies" :D
singing_fish
Site Admin

Postby DrFunkenstein » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:29 pm

I think it's important that people start to become aware of these issues and perhaps start to value their privacy a bit more. For those who don't mind reading something that takes more then 5 minutes, here's a paper that debunks the "I've got nothing to hide" myth. It's in English and a bit academic but it's an interesting read I think.

Dr. Funkenstein
DrFunkenstein

Postby Pan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:42 am

well this isnt an argument in germoney anymore since our delegates discovered there is a data preservation programm in our federal parliament :D
and if you talk about it with a person just ask them if you can take a look at their phone and if they ask you why just say you wanna check it
Freedom isn't about being able to do what you want to do.
Pan
Site Admin

Postby Bacardi_Bat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:55 pm

My english is not the yellow from the egg ( german saying -> translation 1:1 :lol: )
But if i need a translation, i ask my good old friend Mr. Google, most times i understand the meaning ... :idea:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=589610397793039

- "I've got nothing to hide" thats why i don't lock my doors -
Bacardi_Bat

Postby Bacardi_Bat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Bacardi_Bat

Previous

Return to Other games and activities