Helpfull programms

Help with games and PB. Suggestions for the Forums, etc.

Helpfull programms

Postby Pan » Sat May 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Reinstalling WIN for a friend and atm im downloading programms you should have on your machine

What i have so far

antivir
ccleaner
vlc player
Firefox/Opera-> noscript, ghostery, youtube unblocker
Jdownloader
selfrestraint.exe
Spybot search&destroy
Efficient sticky notes
GPU meter
Adobe reader
f.lux

Any good programms which are missing in your mind?
Freedom isn't about being able to do what you want to do.
Pan
Site Admin

Re: Helpfull programms

Postby pakajhus » Sat May 10, 2014 11:24 pm

notepad++ as texteditor
irfanview as imageviewer
7zip as unpacker

and

etqw as game :mrgreen:
pakajhus

Postby Pan » Sun May 11, 2014 10:04 am

Ahh yeah how could i forget notepad :D
edit: wenn ihr adblock wie z.b. ghostery benutzt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8FPbkq0O5s
leider in deutsch
Pan
Site Admin

Postby DrFunkenstein » Sun May 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Things you could try:
- Startupmonitor: notifies you of programs that try to change the registry so they get loaded when you start windows. Extremely useful and this is the first program I install when I reinstall windows. I kid you not.
- Recuva: recover those files you deleted by accident.
- Defraggler: defragment your disks.
- Folder size: gives you the amount of disk space taken by folders and by files. Great to have when want to free up some disk space.
- EaseUS Partition manager: I have several disks in my PC and each disk has several partitions and I use this to create and resize them.
- Foobar2000: a sound player with some nice features. It converts files from one format into another (if you have the codecs) and it can add replay gain to files(*).
- Online armor: firewall software.
- Keepass: password manager.
- Clonezilla: program to backup disks, partitions and copy or restore them. Not for the faint of heart, it's Linux based and it's about as geeky as it gets but it does the job. Should be on a bootable CD/DVD.

Not a program but a site: Blackviper.com

The guy offers all kinds of tips about what you need and don't need when you install Windows and gives suggestions for specific configurations like normal, tweaked etc. He even has a page where you can create your own registry file with your own preferences.This is not for the faint of heart as well, but it's a way to free up as much memory for the things that matter and lose the things that Microsoft thought mattered but don't.

All these programs are freeware and some of them are open source as well.

Dr. Funkenstein

(*) The name replay gain is a bit misleading. It doesn't change the music itself in any way and it doesn't add "gain" to files. It matches the overall "sound volume" of all the files you select, so you don't have to change your volume for every song or album you're playing. You have to use a smartphone or an mp3 player that's capable of using this though but it's really nice to have.
How easy it must be not to think of nipple clamps!
DrFunkenstein

Postby Pan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:04 am

Another program i use lately is f.lux
https://justgetflux.com

it gets rid of the blue colour spectrum. which makes it easier to find a better sleep and earlier if you have to use your pc before you go to bed
Pan
Site Admin

Postby angelaametz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:39 pm

This software is useful, especially if you reinstalled your operating system. I always felt uncomfortable when faced with such matters. Now I found a convenient place for such cases https://yumdownload.com/defraggler. It will make your life easier.
angelaametz

Postby DrFunkenstein » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:59 pm

angelaametz wrote:This software is useful, especially if you reinstalled your operating system. I always felt uncomfortable when faced with such matters. Now I found a convenient place for such cases https://yumdownload.com/defraggler. It will make your life easier.

As far as I'm aware this is the official download page for Defraggler.

I have no idea what kind of site Yumdownload.com is, but if you post links to download sites for programs, you should link people to the site of the creators of the program. Especially since there's a free version so there's no need to visit other sites to download it.

Who are you anyway?

Dr. Funkenstein
How easy it must be not to think of nipple clamps!
DrFunkenstein

Return to Help/ suggestions/ Support