Android smartphone minus Google Play

The title says it all

Android smartphone minus Google Play

Postby DrFunkenstein » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm an absolute noob as far as smartphones are concerned, I got my first one last week and I used smoke signals up until now. What I'm trying to figure out is how to install applications like Firefox and VLC without downloading them from Google Play. You need to create an account for that, and that's one of the things I am definitely trying to avoid.

The process should be simple as far as I can tell after some searching: download the apk file and run it, but this is were the problems start. The only standard app on my phone that can browse files is the "download" app but that doesn't show the apk's. They're definitely there, I downloaded them with my PC, transferred them to my phone and I can see them when I use Windows Explorer to browse the drive on my phone, but the phone itself doesn't show them.

My phone is running Android 4.4.4

Any ideas?

Dr. Funkenstein

P.S. Suggesting a Linux distro for my phone will result in a ban on the server. Just kidding, I'll probably try that at some point but at the moment I'm trying to figure out how to get control over my phone using Android. One step at a time :) ,
How easy it must be not to think of nipple clamps!
DrFunkenstein

Re: Android smartphone minus Google Play

Postby DrBush » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:02 pm

Hola,
maybe you can find a solution here...
Good luck, I bought my first Smartphone last month......
But I am using the account of Angie for the playstore.......

http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... le-account
This one will help you more...
http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... s-apk-file

The last link shows more variations like sending the apk to your mail account and you can straight install it from there, if you are opening the attachment....

Just before you have change some settings like this
In addition to the answers below, you need to allow for non-Market apps to be installed. That setting can be found at Settings | Applications | Unknown sources – Al E. Feb 2 '11 at 14:23
DrBush

Postby DrFunkenstein » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Bush to the rescue!

The second thread you linked to, gave me the answer I was looking for. It's in the last post in that thread and it turns out that all you need is a working web browser. Chrome will do and you don't have to be connected to the internet at all.

Entering "file:///sdcard" as a URL in Chrome gave me access to the drive on my phone and from there it was a matter of selecting the directory where I saved my apk's and tapping them. It worked like a charm and I have Firefox and VLC running now.

Here's the post from that thread:

Make sure "unknown sources" is enabled, plug the device into the computer, drop the .apk into the sd card and use the web browser to go to file:///sdcard, tap the apk in question, say yes to the "this file may blow up your phone" scare notice, then tap the "file downloaded" notification and it's installed.

Thanks!

Dr. Funkenstein
How easy it must be not to think of nipple clamps!
DrFunkenstein

Postby DrBush » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:19 am

The reason why I didnt wanted a smartphone was the issue with the power consumption, to load the accu every day.
Then I found a good solution with IP 67, because I am working outside as a gardener and landscaping, so it has to stand rough situations like rain, dirt and so on.
Now the accu will hold around a week with medium use of calls and wireless.....
The mobile I had before went up to 4 weeks, thats a huge difference, but now I can check emails, I use internet only @ home.
The PC is better for that, maybe its bound to my old habbits using a PC from the age of 12.
Internet was far away at this point for nearly everyone....
I use Simvalley phones...
DrBush

Return to Off Topic