The I am just drinking thread...

The title says it all

The I am just drinking thread...

Postby Rasczak » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:36 pm

And listening to Metallica... :D
Rasczak

Re: The I am just drinking thread...

Postby DrFunkenstein » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not one of those threads!

I don't drink beer that much, it's usually wine when I want some alcohol in my drink, but if I drink beer, I go for the special beers and I have to admit that I have a soft spot for the ones from Belgium. Here's a selection of my favourite poisons as far as beer is concerned:

Available over here in practically every supermarket and you can't go wrong with these two, they're absolutely great.

Westmalle triple

Duvel

I don't want to sound like a snob, but take these beers out of the fridge and let them warm a bit before you pour them in a glass and drink them. Temperature should be about 10 degrees Celsius and trust me, the difference in taste is huge and this applies to most of the beers I'm going to post about below.

Onto the more rare beers I enjoy:

Orval

No other beer I tried tastes like this one, it's in a category of it's own. This is something you'll either love or hate and I doubt there's much ground in between. It's about as funky as you can get with beer.

Gueze

For lack of a better description: this is a kind of a sour-dough beer. No yeasts are added by the brewer, the fermentation is started by yeasts in the environment and the result is a sour tasting beer. You can find varieties with fruit added to it to counter the sourness and Kriek Lambic (gueze with cherries) is the first special beer I ever drank, but I prefer the sourness of the gueze nowadays. I lost my sweet tooth some time ago. This is something you drink on very warm summer evenings or to make spicy meals even spicier.

De Kompaan

This is from a local brewery, it's a bit like the Duvel I posted about above and it's great.

When I grew up and started going out, there was always beer on the tap of course, but that was lager/Pilsner. Some bars had special beers in a bottle but that was not the norm. I was born and raised near the Belgian border and every now and then someone would drive over to the nearest Belgian town and fill the back of his car with as much of Belgian special beers as he could. There would be a party in a youth home where you could try out loads and loads of different types of beer and get incredibly drunk in the process because they were a lot stronger then what I was used to ;) .

There's a lot more to beer then just beer.

Dr. Funkenstein
How easy it must be not to think of nipple clamps!
DrFunkenstein

Postby singing_fish » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:33 pm

This is an important thread 8-)
I had less time for QW the last weeks because we are in holidays in Spain now and the time before means "busy with a lot of work".
Here are some pics from this evening after a good kiteboarding session ;)
IMG_5296.JPG
IMG_5296.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 518 times

God thanks, the fridge is not empty :D
IMG_5300.JPG
IMG_5300.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 518 times

Greetings out of the sun from Andalusia,
René

P.S.: Sorry for oversized pics :oops:
singing_fish
Site Admin

Postby Bacardi_Bat » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:54 pm

think green. beer drinking supports agriculture. drink more for more farmland !
einb_wb.jpg
einb_wb.jpg (122.48 KiB) Viewed 494 times
typing errors are special effects of my keyboard
Bacardi_Bat

Return to Off Topic